Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dana's Strange Request

Saturday afternoon, as I was relaxing on the floor (we sold our last couch) and watching golf on TV, Dana stormed into the living room and demanded that I head outside and measure the dimensions of our van that I am taking to Washington DC. Normally me+floor+golf= Do Not Disturb, but I could hear a little stress in Dana’s voice so I didn’t want to ask too many questions. I’ve learned this after 8 years of marriage.
I went outside and came back with the dimensions scribbled on a napkin. I thought I had fulfilled her request and could go back to the floor to enjoy some precious me/golf/floor time. I was stunned to hear her next request.

Dana: Do you have any chalk?

Bryan: No, why?

Dana: I want to outline the dimensions of your van in the garage.

Bryan: What? Like a dead body?

Dana: Exactly. Do you think blue painting tape will work?

Bryan: Yeah, I guess. (Shaking my head)

So, we went out to the garage and laid tape down 100 % to scale of the back of my van. We even taped the height on a nearby wall. The good news is we still have room to spare, which made Dana feel a lot better (and a lot less stressed out).

I was afraid that if our "keep" pile wasn’t going to fit in the outlined dimensions, Dana would have made me create a computer software “packing Simulator” so we could practice. I’m glad we didn’t have to go that far…yet. We still have some packing to go.

Everything we are keeping must fit in this van.

No comments: