Monday, May 2, 2011

Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder…If you Don’t Starve to Death

Dana and Dylan are leaving for America this week.  They will be in Washington DC with Dana’s parents for 3 weeks on what we call a ‘Grandma Appeasement Trip.’  This was a part of the ‘appeasement treaty’ that we agreed to with Dana’s parents when we decided to move their only grandchild 5000 miles away last year.  

I will be staying back in Germany during this time.  I hope to get a lot of work done and enjoy some Bryan time. When Dana leaves me by myself for any period of time, I usually follow the same pattern.  It begins with 24-48 hours of exuberance from finally having some alone time, followed by the loneliness crash that contains a lot of withdrawal symptoms, and capped off with a mild bout of starvation and body odor.  Dana usually finds me lying naked in a corner somewhere when she gets home anytime she is away for more than 3 days.   And you thought she had her hands full with Dylan. 

To prove that this is not an exaggeration, our close friends have voiced more concern about me being alone in Germany for three weeks than with Dana, who has to travel with Dylan in her lap (twice) for 9 hours.   They have asked us, ‘How is Bryan going to survive?’ and ‘Does Bryan need me to cook something for him during this time?’  (The answer to the second question is ‘yes!’)

Over the next 3 weeks, I will be posting updates on life/adventures with Oscar here in Germany and Dana (hopefully) will be giving her updates as well from DC. 
It could be an interesting month of May.

I'm gonna miss these guys. 

No comments: